Wednesday 4 March 2009

So… What have I Learnt in the last few Weeks?


Other than the fact that for some reason, I find it difficult to copy my pictures from the camera to my machine, which also explains why there haven’t been any posts for almost a month, I have had a rather interesting time during the last couple of weeks. Yes, I have also cooked bazillions of things, including lentils, pea stew, lasagne, meat balls Hungarian style, various soups, falafel, etc. etc. – I’ve been a bit behind as far as writing posts is concerned.


These are some of the things that I learnt while being inactive (at least as far as blogging is concerned):


  • Ground cumin (unlike its non-ground counterpart) is not the creation of Satan as a part of his evil master plan to take over and conquer the world.
  • Tarragon, however, is.
  • Juniper berries are very nice in gravy, even if it’s not venison you’re having the gravy with.
  • It is a sad fact that steaks cannot only be eaten super well done. They are actually quite tasty when they’re only medium. I stand corrected. (It’s not that I’d never tried medium steaks before… it’s more the fact that either the meat or the cook was very bad, because I just had this feeling of immense gagging as soon as I cut into my steak. It also didn’t help that they served me a medium steak when I ordered well done. However, I actually took the courage to order a medium steak the other day and it was quite nice. QUITE.)
  • There is still a hope for Hungarian culinary art. By this, I mean that you can actually cook good Hungarian food without the 9 litres of compulsory fat, and the 15 kilos of onions.
  • Not every restaurant taking part in Torkos Csütörtök is an epic fail. The one we chose was actually really really good. Really. (More about this later, perhaps…)
  • It is close to impossible to get non-fresh coriander in Zürich. I was looking for it for 3 days, went to approximately 9 stores, no joy.
  • I am an obsessive compulsive buyer of cook books. I bought six cookbooks during a 5 minute visit to the post office (no comment.) I don’t have bookshelves, so my entire apartment has various cook books lying around.
  • As time passes, I get the feeling that I’m going to die a horrible death if I don’t make a stew or casserole anytime soon.


P.S.: a new post is finally done. Just need to wait for the images to transfer to this machine from the PC at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment